Saturday, February 5, 2011

Time to upgrade to a new pet

I am a photo enthusiast but I am not a photographer. I got a very high desire on digital images but I don't have a proper study or lessons on handling images. I don't even have photography books. I am just learning in actual since everyday of my life now are in front of digital images, camera, and Photoshop (..even in my regular work!).

For the past two years, my husband and I were wishing to have better camera for ourselves. We were pointing to have at least a DSLR and this was included in my 2011 wish list. And guess what... last month we have decided to upgrade finally to a new, better, and much powerful digital camera which we call now our new pet. But before anything I want to recall and share to you our old ones.

As I remember, we started with old version of Kodak camera, the film version. But now I do not know where it is and as a matter of fact I can no longer recall the exact model of that camera. That was by year 2000, I guess. And we only finally got a digital one, in replace of the film version, in year 2005 when my husband entered Taiwan for work. That was our first digital camera, the 6MP Canon PowerShot A540.

This camera served us for almost five years. It's durability is really remarkable. From such period until now, this camera is still in great condition and my husband is still using it in the office. But since it is already left behind, last August2010, we decided to get a new point-and-shoot digital camera, the 14.1MP Sony Cybershot DSC-W320.


Its resolution is almost double of our previous one but the price is competitive, very affordable. The capture and printing result is (super) excellent, far different from our old 6MP Canon. But what I feel sad about this model is that it has a very short battery life...very frustrating and we felt disappointed. But in general, it is still a good pick because of its excellent quality result.

But this time, look what we have now.....don't blink, this is real...the 18MP Canon EOS 550D.....After waiting of almost two years, finally the right time came and... tada!

We bought this last month but the first use was only the other day because lately the weather here (Taipei) was not that good and we were unable to go out for walk. Last February2, we finally able to used it when we went to Ylan which will be posted soon.

So what's in the box? It includes the following:
  • EOS Rebel T2i Body
  • EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
  • Eyecup Ef
  • Wide Strap EW-100DBIII
  • USB Interface Cable IFC-130U
  • AV Cable AVC-DC400ST
  • Battery Pack LP-E8
  • Battery Charger LC-E8E
  • EOS Digital Solution Disc and Instruction Manuals
  • "Great Photography is Easy" Booklet and "Do More with Macro" Booklet

We also bought another reserved battery, UV Protection Filter, and LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector. And since the store did not gave us a discount so they just gave us a free camera bag instead.

This is why we bought a 3-section tripod because our existing one is small and just fit for our Sony Cybershot.


So there you have it. This means another check to my 2011 wish list. Now my husband and I are reading and researching more about on how to use this DSLR more efficiently and accurately. Sooner or later we can get familiar to proper settings. So far I don't have yet picture with our new pet but my husband has:

My husband looks like an awesome photographer! This was taken last Feb2 in Yilan (obviously, using my Sony Cybershot**LOL). Next time I will post mine with our new pet, promise!

7 comments:

  1. wow, congrats Grace i'm still using my old sony cybershot wishing to have DSLR :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolness. In fact, we both use the same model of camera. I bought mine last year and all the pics uploaded on my site were taken using my canon 550D. Oh, i followed you. Follow me back pls. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Grace...dream ko din yang camera mo. Canon lang din a gamit ko katulad ng 2nd cam mo hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new pet! I am like you - a photo enthusiast who would like to take better photos. I currently have just a great Canon point and shoot but would love to get a DSLR! Perhaps someday I can check that off my wish list.

    P.S. I found your blog through Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you....I am so happy with our new DSLR now, hope you can have one for yourselves also:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. huwaw! congrats sis! matagal na swelduhan ko yan bago makabili! lolz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your husband does look like an awesome photographer!

    ReplyDelete