Thursday, October 21, 2010

How to Make Origami Lucky Star

Okay, like what I have promised in my previous post that I will tell you the instructions on how to make those lucky stars. I scanned the actual instructions in each pack of these paper strips I bought but unluckily only sketch pictures are being shown, no word instructions. This is how the instructions look like:

I don’t know why there are no instructions in words. Perhaps for some, these are clear but frankly the first time I saw the instructions, I did not understand them; probably because that time I was new to origami. To make things clear for some who do not also understand the picture instructions, I will provide my own steps in reference to the scanned instructions above. I hope you can understand the steps I will be giving you.

1. Get single paper strip, usually with a size of 258mm by 10mm. This is the size of the paper strip I used but I guess these papers come in different sizes. Tie it like a knot at the end of the paper.

2. Fold the excess or cut it off. But you can estimate the length of the strip in tying like a knot just enough to hide the other end of the strip.

3. Holding the longer part of the strip, fold it and wrap facing the printed part (the back of the strip is plain white) following the sides of a pentagon-like you are forming.

4. Turn it over to fold and wrap again just like in step 3.

5. Repeat the step 4 over and over again until you reach the end of the paper strip.

6. To close the folding, tuck the last tip of the strip into the pouch. If in case the excess is too much, you can fold it to hide or cut.

7. Then you will end up having a flat pentagon shape-like.

8. Hold firm but not too tight, make a gently pinch pushing inward on the five center of the pentagon edge.

9. From a flat folded pentagon shape-like, you will get a fatty star which they call “lucky”.

I have scanned also the instructions in the other pack I have. This could be another steps you can refer in relation to the first set of instructions.

But here is the best tutorial I could give you. I found this video tutorial online from 5min.com and for me this is the best and clear picture of the instructions.


There you have it. Now it’s time for you to practice making one. I advise you to make use of recyclable colored magazine page or anything if this is your first time to try, otherwise you will ended like me during my first try.

Here are some of my paper strip collection:


which turned into these lovely lucky stars:

Anyway, each pack does not cost more, as a matter of fact it only costs Taiwan Dollar NT$10 (USD$0.30) per 100 pieces of strips with ten different designs. Not bad, right? I don’t have to design, print, and cut because these strips are extremely affordable. I am still planning to buy and collect more of these paper strips for my lucky star collection. Have fun!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Carina, your sons will enjoy doing this. Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the size of the paper strips, sis? Like the width and length 'cause I don't think we have that here. And, I've got a lot of gift wrappers here that can be used to make my own lucky stars. I just hope I'd end up with something like your lucky stars. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sis Mhel, 258mm by 10mm ang mga paper strips na gamit ko. But I think they come in different sizes. I doubt also kung meron sa atin nyan. Try in National Bookstore baka meron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. My kids would love to try this! I want to make one first though...I can't believe I have never tried it : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. I have another trick in paper folding to show my kids.

    ReplyDelete